Plantar Fasciitis or heel pain is a common injury which can often blight runners and prevent them from training for months on end. It is also a common injury for non runners who are on their feet a lot.
- Inflammation of the Plantar Fascia – the broad band of fibrous tissue that runs along the bottom of the foot connecting the heel bone to the forefoot.
- Sharp pain or dull ache in the bottom of the foot in the heel or arch and this can lead to heel spurs.
- The pain is often most acute first thing in the morning or after periods of inactivity because while resting the plantar fascia contracts back to its original length.
- Excessive over-pronation which results in the arch collapsing upon weight bearing.
- Improperly fitting footwear or running shoes without adequate support.
- A sudden increase in physical activity.
- Tight Achilles tendon and calf muscles, poor flexibility in hamstrings.
- Running or walking for long periods with some or all of the above.
People that are more prone to Plantar Fasciitis are those with low arches (flat feet) or unusually high arches.
The good news is that there are a number of solutions that we can offer our customers here at Sporting Feet.
We offer free foot scanning and gait analysis and always try to ensure our customers have the right level of support and well fitting shoes.
Sporting Feet also stocks an excellent range of insoles with brands such as currexSole, Sole, Aetrex and Sidas. The insoles we stock can help reduce pronation to help prevent excessive stretching of the Plantar Fascia and improve support and provide cushioning for extra comfort.
CEP – Ortho Plantar Fasciitis Sleeves
We stock Ortho Plantar Fasciitis Sleeves from CEP Sports (pictured right). CEP Ortho was developed in collaboration with top athletes, renowned sports medicine specialists and physiotherapists.
It uses targeted medi compression to support the arch and relieve the plantar fascia to alleviate pain and discomfort. This in combination with an innovative knitted massage zone promotes circulation. The sleeve can be worn for sport or everyday use.
Carnation Pedi Roller
Use a Carnation Pedi Roller to roll your foot on to provide relief from the heel and arch pain.
The Pedi Roller can be used as cold therapy by chilling or freezing before use which will help reduce inflammation.
Other common treatments
- Icing the plantar fascia before going to bed.
- Stretching to increase the flexibility of the calves, hamstrings and quads.